Thursday, June 14, 2012

Más Verbos Irregulares


El martes yo estudié más verbos irregulares. (On Tuesday I studied more irregular verbs). That pretty much sums it up. Thankfully I didn’t have a headache after Tuesday’s session like I did on Monday. Like I said, Max makes me work hard! Each week I am assigned a different teacher. Last week I had Aura, and this week I have Max. They do this so that I can be exposed to various accents and teaching styles. It’s good for me because it keeps me at the edge of my seat. I am allowed to request a specific teacher for a second week, but no more than that.

There was a lot of excitement Tuesday evening because the US football team came to play against Guatemala in Guatemala City. I didn’t really know about it until the morning of, but during the game I sat in the dining room so I could have a clear view while I “studied.” Friends of the family came over and they had a little grill-out just outside the front door, keeping it wide open so they could see the TV. There was a lot of friendly banter since I was the only American, but since I couldn’t understand most of it I took it in stride pretty well! It was a pretty heated game; it seemed like the announcer kept shouting “falta!” (foul) every minute or so. The US scored the first goal and they held onto it for a long time, but Guatemala scored a beautiful goal to tie it up, and the game ended 1 – 1. It was probably a good thing, because I wouldn’t have the first clue how to gloat in Spanish, and I would never have been able to live it down if the US had lost.

On Wednesday morning I walked out of the house and the volcanos Fuego and Acatenango looked pristine in the morning light. As I walked down the steps my view became blocked by a house, but the next time I looked up I saw that a cloud of ash had erupted from Fuego! I almost always have my camera with me, so I was able to get some pretty spectacular shots!

A couple of interesting transportation options here in Antigua include the “chicken buses” and the “tuk-tuks.” Chicken buses – though I’m not sure how they acquired such a name – are old US school buses that have been repurposed for the Guatemalan transit system. They have been given make-overs, but there is still no denying the fact that once upon a time they were used to take children to school. The tuk-tuks are little three-wheeled vehicles that have been imported from India. They have been dubbed “tuk-tuks” because it is reminiscent of the sound their tiny engines make.

The remainder of this post will be about food, since Rachel has been pestering…

Desayuno (I have breakfast) around 7:15 AM. Olga often makes los huevos con tomate, cebolla, y chile pimento (eggs with tomato, onion, and peppers). However, the other day I had a large pancake with syrup and a little bowl of plantains on the side. The plantains were muy dulce (very sweet), but I think it was because of the way she had prepared them. El pan (bread) is served with every breakfast, and I usually top it with mermelada de las frases (strawberry jam).

Almuerzo (I have lunch) around 1:00 PM. Typically, yo como el carne con los hortalizas o arroz (I eat meat with vegetables or rice). Warm tortillas are served with every lunch.
¡Olga es un cocinero excelente! (Olga is an excellent cook!) She asks me after every meal, “¿Le gusta, Davíd?” On Wednesday I said, “¡Tus comidas son muy deliciosas siempre!” (Your meals are very delicious always!)

Ceno (I have supper) around 6:45 PM. It is usually similar to lunch in that I have some kind of meat and vegetables. However, I have had sopa (soup) before, and beans frequent the dinner menu also. El pan is served at every supper, sin la mermelada de las frases.

If I eat anything really out of the “norm” (from a US diet perspective anyway), I’ll be sure to post about it. Yet so far nothing has seemed too “exotic” for my palate, including the pescado. 

Apparently there is a tropical storm called Carlotta moving toward southern México. Guatemala isn’t being affected by it much, except the days are cloudy and we’re experiencing cooler temperatures.

“On my bed I remember you; I think of you through the watches of the night. Because you are my help, I sing in the shadow of your wings. My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me.”
Psalm 63:6 – 8

1 comment:

  1. I really appreciate the post about food. It is very interesting, despite what you think. I love when you write your sentences in Spanish. You sound so Spanish-smart already!
    How cool about the ash eruption. I can't wait to see the pictures!

    ReplyDelete