Friday, June 8, 2012

Los Días son Bonitos


Thursday morning there was hardly a cloud in the sky and Alyssa and I got great shots of the volcanos! The day usually starts out fairly clear, then the temperature climbs steadily throughout the morning and by midday there are big white clouds hugging the mountains. Then in the afternoon it rains, or it at least threatens to. This morning would have been a great day to hike Pacaya. Several travel agencies in Antigua offer tours of Pacaya, one of the two active volcanos in the area. Pacaya is the only volcano not directly visible from Antigua. I definitely want to do that sometime during my stay here!

On Wednesday Alyssa and I went to la Embojada de España (the Spanish Embassy) in Antigua. Alyssa told me that Spain has been trying to reestablish a reputation with its former colonies. The Embassies preserve the culture of Spain’s former colonies through art exhibitions and museums, while also offering training in the traditions of Spain. The Embojada in Antigua was at one time a nunnery, but it was most likely destroyed by an earthquake. (There are many old churches and buildings here that were destroyed by earthquakes, but many of them haven’t been touched because “Antigua” means ancient, and the Guatemalans want to preserve the history). In the early 1990’s, Spain offered to rebuild the old convent and turn it into the Embassy that it is today. It doesn’t look impressive from the outside, but inside it’s a different story. There are gardens behind every corner, conference rooms, computer labs, art exhibits, even an Early Childhood Center! I definitely want to go again … this time with my camera!

A random bit of Guatemalan news: on June 4, one of the important Guatemalan catholic figures died. I’m not sure if he was an archbishop or a cardinal, or what… But it’s been all over the TV. On Thursday he was entombed in the biggest cathedral in Guatemala City, and his burial was broadcast live. The festival of Corpus Christi was supposed to happen on Thursday, but it was suspended because of the funeral.

Thursday was a very interesting day as far as my Spanish instruction went. Somehow Aura (mi maestra) prompted me to start talking about my past novias (girlfriends). Apparently this is a hot topic in Latin culture. The weirdest thing was that it was the first “conversation” that I had in Spanish that felt almost natural, because if I didn’t know how to say something I would just gesture and she would speak the words I was trying to say. Aura found it hilarious that “Mi novias tienen esposos” (My girlfriends have husbands), and I can’t say I blame her!

Earlier, we were at the canteen where the school provides agua pura y café caliente (pure water and hot coffee) and Aura was pointing to things to have me identify: cuchara (spoon), cuchillo (knife), tenedor (fork), vaso (glass). She then pointed to the microwave. As I was thinking about it, another maestro came in to fill up his coffee mug. He and Aura started talking, and I started thinking out loud, “Micro… micro…” Then I thought Aura was helping me out by filling in the rest of the word because she turned her head slightly and said “faldas.” Naturally, I said, “microfaldas!” rather triumphantly, thinking that I had now identified the microwave en Español. However, Aura and the other maestro burst out laughing, because all I had done was identify the microwave as “miniskirts.” In Spanish, “faldas” means “skirts.” (Apparently, that was just part of their conversation and not meant for me.) When they had explained it to me we all started laughing so hard we were almost crying! Just in case you’re curious, microwave en Español is “microhondas” (mee · croh · oon · dahs).

Thursday afternoon Alyssa and I went to el mercado (the market) near the edge of town. It reminded me a lot of the markets in Africa, only on a much larger scale. There were tons of fruit and vegetable vendors, people selling meat, shoes, crafts, works of art, trinkets, household items, clothes, flowers, and so much more! We probably walked around for half an hour and barely scratched the surface! Official market days are Mondays, Thursdays, and Saturdays, so many of the vendors pack up their stations and return on the next market day. However, there are other places that are open daily. I plan to visit again if only to browse around.

On Friday I have my first test en Español. I didn’t know I would be having one until Thursday! I think I will be tested weekly to assess my progress. Necesito estudiar mucho porque yo quiero hablar Español mui bien con los niños pequeños. (I need to study a lot because I want to speak Spanish very well with the little children). I still probably butchered the grammar in that sentence, but I definitely know more than I did at the beginning of the week!

“In you, O LORD, I have taken refuge; let me never be put to shame. Rescue me and deliver me in your righteousness; turn your ear to me and save me. Be my rock of refuge, to which I can always go; give the command to save me, for you are my rock and my fortress.”
Psalm 71:1 – 3

2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy that you're soaking in the culture and lifestyle there! This is definitely an 8 week period in which you'll be building memories for a life time!
    Dad's advice to you you're already doing. Just boldly speak and don't be afraid. That was funny about the miniskirts!
    Love to you!!! xx..

    ReplyDelete
  2. From the Spanish phrases you're typing all over your blog, it seems like you're catching on pretty quickly. I feel like you'll be pretty fluent (or good enough to carry on conversation) pretty quickly!
    Your blog posts are so eloquent sounding, with wonderful punctuation and grammar. I feel like you are putting mine to shame. :)

    ReplyDelete